So... this is what I've been thinking about lately. Depression and the Dust Bowl. Sometimes I think that I might be a little more aware of what is going on in the world, not because of my own initiative, but because Blake is a reporter. But I know I'm not the only one who has been thinking about the Depression lately. Everything you hear on the news is about the status of the US (and now the rest of the world) economy. It's pretty hard not to get down when you look at your mutual fund shrinking on a daily basis. For me when I think about the Great Depression I automatically think about the Dust Bowl. I caught myself thinking this the other day... "The economy is so terrible right now. There is going to be another Great Depression and it's going to be so dusty!" For some reason I cannot separate the two. It's strange I know. I know they really had nothing to do with each other, just incredibly bad timing to have a drought. It's been really dry in Nashville lately, until this week. We got like 3.5 inches of rain earlier this week so you'd think my fears of the Depression/DustBowl would go away. Apparently not. I had a dream about "The Grapes of Wrath" last night. Not the kind of dream where you are an observer, but the kind where I was a part of it. Let me tell you, IT WAS TERRIBLE. I haven't read the book since my 10th grade year, but all the details came flying back to me like it was yesterday. The "turtle" from the book was even in my dream. I know this is kind of a weird thing to write about, but it's been hard not to think about it. I don't actually think there will be another Dust Bowl anytime soon. I know our farming and irrigation methods have greatly improved since the 1930s, but I can't say the fear of one happening isn't in the back of my mind.That's all for now. I'm one week away from having my first quarter of grad school completed... What a relief!
3 comments:
That's funny because I completely relate the two also! When I picture another Great Depression I picture it like it was...not like it will be. It's so hard to wrap my head around what a real Depression will look like...hopefully it doesn't come down to that!
I'm glad grad school has been great! Are you still loving it?
what a nerd
This is very funny. You should come to NW Arkansas, it has rained ridiculous amounts here...it is a dust free land.
Post a Comment