Thursday, July 16, 2009

Stirring the pot: women in the workplace

No, Moriah didn't get a job refinishing furniture. The picture, however, is me lady sanding down a Craigslist-find that now sits in our guest bedroom.

Many of you know Moriah has had some exciting news. She's going to be a teacher this fall! She will take over as middle and high school computer instructor at David Lipscomb. She will do so well. The kids already know and love her. Plus, she's up with the times. No more learning about how to draw a picture of Bart Simpson in MSDOS. C:/ - boy do I miss that.

Moriah and I get into job conversations more than most. Perhaps its that my better half puts up with my gentle prodding for her to work harder. She's even picked up a second job doing design work for Otter Creek. A husband couldn't be more proud.

I'm of the line of thinking that women should be entitled to all the rights of men in the workplace - that includes equal pay for equal work. This is said with complete sincerity. And it seems workplace equality between the sexes has become a widely held virtue in the 21st century, though I know there's plenty of discrimination out there. Moriah hated being called a secretary at church. However, I still often get the impression many women feel its their right to not work as hard as their husbands. Why is that? Is it biologically programmed? Is this notion a relic of the 1950's American dream? Is it that women, even those without children, want to spend time to preparing the nest?

Before you go grabbing a caldrin to tar and feather my behind, travel down this road with me. And of the married couples you know where the woman works longer hours than her husband, don't you hear something in the back of you mind saying, 'now that's messed up.' Maybe we're not as sold on equality as we tell ourselves.

- Blake

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I think it really depends on two things: the woman's job, and your perception of the situation. Perhaps it is that way in corporate America, or in an office setting. I wouldn't know, because I am a teacher.

I'm sure your first thought at the word TEACHER is SUMMERS OFF, but you will probably change your mind when you see what your wife does in her new job. Teaching is a lot of long hours; it is emotionally, mentally, and physically draining, and that's while the kids are still there. Don't forget about lesson planning, grading, trainings, team meetings, and staff meetings. Or Open House, parent conferences, and PTA meetings, not to mention being blamed for the downturn of society. Of course, there are a few slackers - slackers happen in every occupation, but Moriah is not like that. She will work hard and do a good job, which means that you will be proven wrong by your wife.

I am sure that you have seen examples of women not wanting to work as hard as men in the workplace. However, my husband works incredibly hard at his job, and it pays off in different ways than mine, but that doesn't mean we don't work equally hard.

Additionally, when you throw in going home at the end of the day to cook, clean, and take care of errands, husbands, and children, women work hard in lots of different ways. Especially if their husband is the kind of guy who does not want to help out.

Perhaps your idea of what counts as work and what does not is also a factor in your opinion?

Anonymous said...

I feel the need to write a comment about your blog. I want to do this without offending anyone so I will try to choose my words very carefully.
I don't know you or your wife but your wife does seems to be someone exceptional. You are very lucky to have a wife that goes above and beyond. I also believe that the workplace should be equal with everyone having the same rights. But you seem to have a different view altogether of simply just work equality. I agree with everything that Kelly has said in her comment and I appreciate how well it was stated.
You see, you seem to only view work as being work when you are getting paid for it. Work is work period. Work is getting up in the middle of the night to change diapers when your husband sleeps or staying up late folding clothes or cleaning or preparing the next day's meals. And during the day there's plenty of time for the array of work involved in caring for children. Many women don't have children but that doesn't mean they are sitting home doing nothing. Maybe they are simply being a help mate to their husbands in a totally different way than being a mother. You know, a husband and wife relationship is happiest when you are both individually thinking, "what can I do to be a better husband or wife to my mate?" NOT..."what can she do to make me happier?" I think it is an absolute blessing for some that have the priveledge of being at home most of the time.., it could mean you are more available to your husbands or that you get the quality time to be together if schedule allows it. Why work every hour that you can squeeze into the day if it is going to take away precious time with your best friend?
I can remember when my dad used to tell me and my sister not to measure what each other had..like if I percieved that she got more of something than I did and to just worry about myself. Well Sir, I do believe you are a measurer. Maybe you wouldn't be so judgmental if you just concentrated on yourself.
And by the way, I run a business at home, take care of my children, and still manage to find time to spend with my husband.