I thought Moriah might want to go mountain biking, so I gave her one. Now I think how made she would be with me if I dragged her out to the trails. Then I thought, maybe a tandem bike. I could do most of the work and she could just go along for the ride. My pitch never seemed to get much traction. I could write an entire essay on my struggle to get Moriah interested in running. I purchased cute running gear, new shoes, iPods. Nothing worked.
I gave up a couple of years ago, and we're both the happier for it.
But this weekend, there was a first - a 20-hour overnight outing in the woods. I mentioned the idea of going camping over the weekend and was shocked to get a yes. Before she could back out, I locked in the deal. We drove up to Savage Gulf Friday night. We pitched the tent at the Savage Falls ranger station and started a fire for some S'mores. There's really no way to get Moriah near a campfire without involving chocolate. Saturday morning, we rose early and hit the trail for a five mile day hike to Savage Falls. Moriah is pictured here carefully stepping from rock to rock below the falls.
We were done by about 10:15, so we headed home.
Moriah was very concerned about bug bites before leaving. I told her to stop being a baby. In a twist of fate, I must have disturbed some friendly chiggers on my hunt for firewood. I have some crazy bites going on. I'm actually going to stop so I can spend some time scratching my ankles off.
-Blake
4 comments:
the line about chocolate got me! i am about the same way (regarding chocolate). but i love to camp!
sorry about the chiggers. those things are evil.
See blake that is why You never give up. I guess it is true some we do crazy things for LOVE. Way to hang in there Moey!
See what happens when you stop pushing...proud of both of you.
I'm so proud of you, Moey. :)
Post a Comment