Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Love Affair With Books...

I've always loved to read. I remember finally being able to "check out" books from my Kindergarten teacher's library and loved taking them home to read with my mom. Not only do I love to read, but I'm somewhat of a speed reader. I blame that on all the years of TAAS testing that reinforced Reading Comprehension Skills. Blake thinks that I read so fast that I miss all the details, but that isn't the case. I'm just a fast reader and he isn't. :-)

Katie and I went to see Eclipse last Thursday (a matinee is now $7.50... when did that happen?) and we saw the preview for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It got me really excited to see the movies, it seems like it's bee forever since one came out. Seeing the preview reminded me of how sad I was when I finished the last book. I felt like a part of my life was over. I know that sounds drastic, but I kind of felt like the characters in the books were my buddies. I cared about what happened to them and didn't want to see their stories end.

That made me think about all the books I've really enjoyed reading through the years. (This blog post is starting to sound like "If you give a Mouse a Cookie..." where one thought leads to the next with no end in sight.) I'm not much of an academic reader. I like to stick with good books that are fun and easy to read. I recently decided that I need to read through the "Suggested High School Reading" list, but that's another story. I've also realized that I LOVE books in a series. I almost always want more of the story at the end of the book, so a series of books works really well for me. I love the character development and how you really get to know everything about the world that the characters live in.

The first series I really loved was "Little House on the Prairie." I don't really remember when I started reading them, but I do remember when I finished the last one and kept hoping that she'd write another. I loved Laura, Ma, and Pa like they were my family. Sometimes I even found myself dreaming of living on a farm on the prairie. If you know me at all you know that is not something I would ever even consider, but that's how much I loved those books. They made me want to live in the middle of nowhere.

I've moved on to more sophisticated books since then (read with sarcasm): The Shopaholic Books, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, the Twilight Saga, The Mark of the Lion series, Abram's Daughters... I'm sure there are more that I'm missing but that's not really important. I'm just saying that I love to read and I'm grateful that my sister-in-law is a Young Adult Librarian because she always has a list of good books for me to read!

We're going to the lake next week and I'm going to have to go to the library to stock up on books to keep me busy while lounging by the pool...

Only a few more weeks of summer left. I'm trying not to get depressed. Just kidding. But seriously, "Summer Moey" is a lot more fun that "School-Year Moey."

4 comments:

Blake said...

my earliest reading memory involve me under my sister's bed, using a hole punch to make swiss cheese out of my favorite book. I had checked out Motorcycle Charlie from the library. I had to pay for that stupid book with an entire cup of change I had saved up. Maybe that's why I struggle to enjoy reading books as an adult.

Emily said...

Uhm, Blake, I don't recall that. Was in in the bed when you did said hole punching?

And Mo... can I tell you how in love with this post I am?!? I mean, how typical is it of me?? I'm always happy to give you a list of the next big thing. Maybe when I come to Nashville I'll leave you a few Advanced Copies for later.

I could wax poetic about reading, but I'm holding back. I'm glad you love reading as much as I do! It makes the world all that more interesting, doesn't it? :)

erin f. said...

I too love to read, and I know exactly what you mean about the lady Harry potter book ending. I remember just feeling depressed and empty inside when it ended. Have you ever read the Anne of green gables series? My favorite of all time. I have one life goal and that is to go to prince edwards island in canada where Anne lived. I also really loved the mark of the lion series by Francine rivers. I am jealous of your summer reading! Summer time is crazy and stressful for me, I looove for school to start back!

Emily said...

You should try Emily Giffin books...Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and a few others. Its a series and they are great books! I've also become a big fan of the Buy 2 Get 1 Free table at Barnes & Noble. Not series obviously, but the style of those books tend to be right up my alley and it seems we have a lot of the same tastes. :)